Monday, June 22, 2009

The Children of Famine: (a.k.a. most F'd up fairy tale ever)

My boyfriend and I have been reading the Complete Fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm. So far they have provided us with hours of entertainment including deep discussions about life and death, morality and also plenty of giggles.

We have developed a rating system and rate each story after reading it. The rating is alphanumeric, consisting of two letters and a number. The letters come from a listing of adjectives that Matt and I developed and the number is the age at which it is okay to read the story. So far, after reading close to 40 stories, this is the only story that I rated an F, H, 17. (F'd Up, Horrifying, Age 17)

If this story isn't a clear illustration of a Mother's addiction to Meth, I don't know what is. I'm thinking of submitting it to the Montana Meth Project for a commercial script.

The Children of Famine

Once upon a time there was a woman with two daughters, and they had become so poor that they no longer had even a piece of bread to put in their mouths. Their hunger became so great that their mother became unhinged and desperate. Indeed, she said to her children, "I've got to kill you so I can have something to eat!"

"Oh, dear Mother," said one daughter, "spare me, and I'll go out and see if I can get something without begging."


She went out and came back carrying a little piece of bread, which they shared with one another. But it was not enough to still their hunger. Therefore, the mother spoke to the other daughter, "Now it's your turn to die!"

"Oh, dear Mother," she answered, "spare me and I'll go get something to eat from somewhere else without anyone noticing me."

She went away and came back carrying two little pieces of bread. They shared it with one another but it was not enough to still their hunger. Therefore, when a few hours had gone by, their mother said to them once more, "You've got to die or else we'll waste away."

To which they responded, "Dear Mother, we'll lie down and sleep, and we wont get up again until the Judgement Day arrives."

So they lay down and fell into a deep sleep, and no one could wake them from it. Meanwhile, their mother departed, and nobody knows where she went.

The End
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Please see my version of the story that I will submit to the Montana Meth Project.

The Children of Meth

Once upon a time there was a woman (dirty trampy hag) with two daughters, and they had become so poor (due to their mother's addiction to meth) that they no longer had even a piece of bread to put in their mouths (or any drugs for their mother to consume). Their hunger (and their mother's jone-sing) became so great that their mother became unhinged and desperate. Indeed, she said to her children, "I've got to kill you (and/or pimp you out) so I can have something to eat (snort, shoot up, smoke...not sure how that works really)!"
"Oh, dear Mother," said one daughter, "spare me, and I'll go out and see if I can get something without begging."

She went out and came back carrying a little piece of bread (bag of drugs), which they shared with one another (gave to their mother). But it was not enough to still their (her) hunger. Therefore, the mother spoke to the other daughter, "Now it's your turn to die (and or be pimped out)!"

"Oh, dear Mother," she answered, "spare me and I'll go get something to eat (some drugs for you) from somewhere else without anyone noticing me (stealing)."

She went away and came back carrying two Little pieces of bread (bags of drugs). They shared it with one another (gave it to their mother) but it was not enough to still their (her) hunger. Therefore, when a few hours had gone by, their mother said to them once more, "You've got to die or else we'll (I'll) waste away (go through withdrawals)."

To which they responded, "Dear Mother, we'll lie down and sleep, and we wont get up again until the Judgement Day (Child Welfare) arrives."

So they lay down and fell into a deep sleep, and no one could wake them from it. Meanwhile, their mother departed, and nobody knows where she went (but one can assume she's probably dead in a gutter somewhere).

The End
----------------------------------------------------------
Primary Morale of that story: Don't do it. Not even once.

Secondary Morale of that story: Not all Fairy tales are kid friendly

No comments:

Post a Comment